June 2007
« May   Jul »
18192021222324

Peonies Plein Air

June 4th, 2007

Plein Air Peonies – 11″ x 15″ (quarter sheet) Arches 140# watercolor paper
SOLD

Well, the show was a success in every way and I have lived to tell the tale. Kudos to Lori and her family for not only organizing the event but offering their home as our gallery and creating an atmosphere of conviviality and creativity. We all arrived an hour before the studio tour began to set up our easels and help with last minute details … but everything was in perfect order so there was little we needed to do. Tour guests began arriving promptly at 1 and continued throughout the afternoon with only a few lulls and many surges. The organizing committee asked if artists might have some sort of demo set up at their studios, and several of were happy to oblige, setting up our easels around a beautiful still life arrangement artfully presented by painter Carolyn Jean. I haven’t done very many floral still lives but I loved the challenge of these peonies – which we cannot grow in Southern California. These buxom blooms came from Whole Foods market, and I understand from my artpal Nan that Trader Joes is carrying them as well.

The light changed quite radically during the hour or so that I was painting these, but I tried to keep the memory of the glow even while they slipped into the shade of the umbrella and grapefruit tree. I invoked the muse that speaks to Charles Reid to please give me a hand with the looseness – that is to say, to please stay my hand if I should try to get too fussy. Because I paint landscapes more than arranged flowers, this experience has given me the incentive to do more painting out on my back patio this summer.

All in all, we had a good day. I sold this painting of the garden at Casita Del Arroyo

to a lovely collector, and Robin, Ginny, Carolyn, Louisa and others in our group had sales as well. It was an auspicious beginning. But the best part was being in the company of good painting friends, family and art lovers on a perfect late spring day. Assuming the stars all align correctly, I can hardly wait until we do it next year.

1. Beautiful work, Karen. I especially love the peonies. The colors you’ve chosen just sing, and your watercolor technique is perfect for the subject.

Comment by Casey — June 4, 2007 @ 1:30 am
  2. Karen beautiful, loose, and fresh painting. Sounds like a wonderful successful event.

Comment by Toni — June 4, 2007 @ 3:28 am
  3. love the peonies – gorgeous colour!!

Comment by Anastasia — June 4, 2007 @ 4:38 am
  4. Karen, congratulations on this!! It’s simply w o n d e r f u l , especially the colours you choose.

Comment by Claudia — June 4, 2007 @ 6:51 am
  5. You are really getting the idea of light DOWN! Lovely…and congrats on the sale!

Comment by Kate (Cathy) Johnson — June 4, 2007 @ 8:09 am
  6. the peonies are just yummy…i thought the same thing …that you have to work vertically to get all those fun drips he gets….you did a great job…congrats on the sale…that one is just wonderful…love the lush colors!

Comment by margaret hunt — June 4, 2007 @ 10:19 am
  7. Karen, the light and shadow on your peonies are what I saw first on flickr! Of course I noticed the peonies too, and thought you’d been to Trader Joes! :)
    I love the painting you sold, and may have bought it myself if some other lucky soul had not beat me to it. It captures the beauty and peace of a walk
    through the woods or a garden path, and the serenity one finds there. Brilliant work!

Comment by Nancy Coler — June 4, 2007 @ 10:55 am
  8. These peonies are just beautiful Karen!!

Comment by teric — June 4, 2007 @ 12:54 pm
  9. Karen, your work is wonderful! I particularly like the peonies–the colors! —Carol C.

Comment by Carol C — June 4, 2007 @ 7:37 pm
  10. That is lovely, super colours and it looks so fresh.
    How do you feel about people walking about near you and watching you paint? I know they would not be critical, just interested but does it put you off?
    w.

Comment by wendy — June 5, 2007 @ 6:35 am
  11. Wow, Karen, the peonies are awesome!!

Comment by Linda T — June 5, 2007 @ 9:03 am
  12. I’m glad the show went well. I like the painting that you sold. I also like this peony painting – really loose and colourful. It is a real treat to see artists at work – what a nice idea.

Comment by carole — June 5, 2007 @ 11:14 am
  13. Karen, I love the tonal values you got in the peonies. The lemons at the bottom add a nice touch. So glad you made a sale!

Comment by Creekhiker — June 5, 2007 @ 8:47 pm
  14. Congratualtions on your sale..it is one of your paintings that I loved.
    I love these peonies as well, such vibrant color and spontaneity, it looks like you’e had fun wth this one.
    ronell

Comment by Ronell — June 6, 2007 @ 12:00 am
  15. I never know peonies didn’t grow in California. I guess that’s about the only thing — otherwise you guys are blessed with way more than your fair share of flora!
    :-) I’m so glad the show was such a wonderful success! Best of all, it sounds like FUN!

Comment by Linda — June 6, 2007 @ 7:23 pm
  16. Beautiful peonies and the lemons are the perfect touch.

Comment by juj — June 9, 2007 @ 6:49 pm
  17. This is one of my all time favorites of yours and I like it MUCH better than Reid’s work. Spectacular!

Comment by Jana Bouc — June 17, 2007 @ 3:36 pm