August 2008
« Jul   Sep »
18192021222324

This Golden Land – California Central Coast Impressionist Oil Painting by Karen Winters

August 7th, 2008

“This Golden Land”
10″ x 20″ oil on canvas
SOLD

See more of my landscapes here

This painting represents my first experience in painting a panoramic scene, as opposed to rectangular canvases I normally use for studio paintings which are more in a 4:3 aspect ratio. You’d have to see it in person to see how it captures more of the feeling of “being there.” I think that’s because we are used to seeing panoramically more than through windows.

The location of this painting in in California’s Central Coast region near Paso Robles. It is wine country, but I’m guessing that this golden field was used as grazing pastureland. If I were a cow I’d think it was a little bit of heaven. The time of day was about 4 pm in mid summer when there was still plenty of light to illuminate the field, but not so much that the colors were all washed out. How I’d love to be back there at this moment, painting, and listening to the calls of the red winged blackbirds. I can imagine that there are probably a few head of cattle resting under that big oak in the windbreak. Can you?

One other note about the painting. Because it is wet there is a bit of glare in the sky that is brighter than the actual painting. It is light in that part of the sky, but not “burned out” white. When It’s drier I’ll reshoot it or scan it. Until then, I need to get it uploaded.

This Saturday, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I’ll be painting in the tearoom lobby at the Langham Huntington Hotel in San Marino as a weekend “artist in residence.” We are invited to bring a few paintings along for display and I’m hoping this will be dry enough by then to travel.

1. gorgeous , I so love your style.

Comment by Kunstrxns — August 7, 2008 @ 4:34 pm
  2. This is outstanding, Karen. Always did like oils. I have one 12 x 20 which I never finished. Still have it, but don’t know what I’ll do with it. That was started over 15 years ago!

Comment by Donn — August 7, 2008 @ 4:39 pm
  3. Thank you Kunstrxns and Donn,

Donn, I know you have said you had an allergy to oil p aintings. Perhaps if you try the water mixable kind it would work better for you. Worth a try, maybe?

Comment by Karen — August 7, 2008 @ 4:44 pm
  4. This is beautiful! I really like the composition you chose for this format.

Comment by Ann — August 7, 2008 @ 4:52 pm
  5. I like this one a lot Karen. Very serene and peaceful. Great job! Have fun at the hotel gig and good luck with it ;-)

Comment by Don — August 7, 2008 @ 6:08 pm
  6. This is wonderful! Love the mood of it! Very well done!

Comment by Marva — August 7, 2008 @ 6:35 pm
  7. This feels like just one foot further and you’ll be in the landscape! Very serene feeling too – California must be a very beautiful country.

Comment by delph — August 8, 2008 @ 2:58 am
  8. Beautiful view and soothing colors!

Comment by Luba — August 8, 2008 @ 5:46 am
  9. Love it. I think California is so pretty because of it’s contrasting greens and golds. In Kingman AZ the greens and golds are more mixed so it’s more blah. At times we are greener than CA but at others less. It’s the contrast that looks so nice and you have captured it very well.

Comment by Timaree (freebird) — August 8, 2008 @ 8:47 am
  10. Oh wow! This is so lush, so soothing, a painting to be viewed over and over.

Comment by Deb — August 8, 2008 @ 4:11 pm
  11. This is just lovely.

Comment by Barb Pask — August 9, 2008 @ 12:53 pm
  12. I love this panorama, Karen. Such a feeling of space, as it
    moves our eye through the trees and fields and up across the
    lights and shadows in the clouds.

Comment by Annie — August 10, 2008 @ 6:24 pm
  13. Greetings, Karen. I found your blog this morning via some convoluted path on the ‘net & am thrilled to have found you. I’ve been admiring your Journal Pages and was incredibly moved by them. Thank you for sharing your incredible talent here. Your work is breathtaking, and judging by this beautiful painting I am long overdue a visit to California! :)
    Thanks again, it’s been a real pleasure spending my morning with you!

Comment by Suzie Q — August 19, 2008 @ 3:51 am
  14. This is gorgeous, Karen. It does something to me physically – like catching my breath, or my heart beating a bit faster. It’s a gorgeous composition with the dark framing around three edges and that wonderful light on the fields and behind the tree. Super job.

Comment by carole — August 22, 2008 @ 8:56 am
  15. Love this scene. Love the panoramic view and your style is very nice. Soft and impressionistic.

Comment by Barb Pask — August 28, 2008 @ 6:48 am