February 2008
18192021222324

• annie: I so love those threes of yours, Karen. They just take my heart

Tulip Magnolia – Karen Winters Daily Painting

February 9th, 2008

Tulip Magnolia – 7.25 x 7.25 inches – watercolor
SOLD

The magnolias have arrived in all their glory. A procession of bloom should follow for a month or so, so I’m going to make the most of it while I can. In some parts of town the trees are in full bloom, while in other microclimates the trees still have bare sticks with only the slightest hint of bud swelling. And although it’s confusing to me how that happens, it only means that the bloom will last longer. Perhaps it has to do with differences of species, I don’t know.

1. Very beautiful! I love the colors and freshness of this piece.

Comment by Laurel Neustadter — February 9, 2008 @ 4:30 am
  2. Lovely darks and lights here, and such a simple approach. Magnolia makes an irresistible sketching subject. They’re so graceful.

Comment by E-J — February 9, 2008 @ 6:05 am
  3. very lovely! The simple approach (I don’t mean simple or easy to do) is very effective here! I agree with the two comments above. Your painting fits the grace and beauty of the magnolia. I am amazed that they bloom in the winter!

Comment by Molly Jean Henson — February 9, 2008 @ 6:32 am
  4. OMG Karen! this is too gorgeous for words! I am speechless with the beauty of it!

Comment by teric — February 9, 2008 @ 7:43 am
  5. Yes, ditto the above.
    I like the combo of feminine sensitivity in the delicate flower and the strong (“macho”) darks.

Comment by Bill — February 9, 2008 @ 11:30 am
  6. Thanks, everyone. Bill maybe you’ve identified a good metaphor for modern women who don’t have to stop being girly girls to also be ‘strong like tree.’

Molly, it’s starting to turn spring here because we’re so far south in So. Cal. No snow on the ground and temps in the 50s, 60s, 70s … unless we get another arctic blast.

Comment by Karen — February 9, 2008 @ 11:39 am
  7. Lovely, Karen. You’ve really captured the light in this blossom – I love when these start their show here – lets me know that spring is really on the way!

Comment by Diahn — February 9, 2008 @ 12:42 pm
  8. I love the soft light portrayed in thie piece.

Comment by Takeyce — February 10, 2008 @ 6:11 pm
  9. Inspiring with very nice contrast!

Comment by Rob Burkhard — February 10, 2008 @ 9:28 pm
  10. wow…how did I miss this one. sensational

Comment by rhonda hurwitz — February 13, 2008 @ 10:55 am
  11. Oh Karen, the softness, the GLOW. Insert contented sigh here.

Comment by Susan — February 15, 2008 @ 3:58 pm
  12. Hi Karen,

We love you’re magnolia tulip.
    Next year in Auqstus we wil get married and we are wondering if there is a possibility to us the magnolia (digital) for our invitation?
    Kind Regards, from Amsterdam Joep & Danielle