April 2007
« Mar   May »
16171819202122

Sycamore Creek

April 14th, 2007

Sycamore Creek – 11 x 15 – watercolor on 140# paper
SOLD

Now this is a little more my speed. Some abstraction and impressionism, but some realism, too. I painted this picture twice today. The first one used more glazing, more overlapping patches of color in the main tree. I put that aside and tried another where the leaf patterns were painted more wet in wet. This seasonal creek is really at the Placerita Canyon Nature Center. The trees are beautifully green now, but I liked them better when they were decked out in reds and golds along with the green.

Thanks to everyone for all your thoughtful and insightful comments about the abstract exercise and the experience of coming under the influence of a teacher, or a artistic friend with a distinctive style.

A propos of that, today’s art advice is a quote from Frank LaLumia, plein air painter, as quoted in the January 2006 American Artist magazine.

“When you are responding to the subject rather than painting in a preconceived manner, you will find yourself doing things spontaneously, differently. In this way, every year your painting will look more like itelf and less like that o your teachers or other influences.”

1. Wow! Super. Splendid. I really like it. You are on a roll at present. So prolific but producing some very fine work.
    w.

Comment by wendy — April 14, 2007 @ 2:05 am
  2. Wonderful work! I feel like I’m right there before these trees.You have created an amazing atmosphere with your brush strokes.

Comment by Fanta — April 14, 2007 @ 3:07 am
  3. Karen, this is wonderful. Also it is abstract it makes the impression to be a naturalistic painting. Fascinating.

Comment by nik — April 14, 2007 @ 3:08 am
  4. I liked the abstract tree but I like this loads better! It’s so vibrant and looks like you really had fun doing it!

Comment by Felicity — April 14, 2007 @ 9:37 am
  5. That is! great! you nailed it! (I’m sorry I lack the expressions). Now you focused the details where necessary and let the periferal suggested, so not distracting the viewer’s eye. Just think what would happen if you paint all the leaves in detail; it would become ruined. This is pure beauty! My admiration to your achievements.

Comment by Roberto Bobrow — April 14, 2007 @ 12:49 pm
  6. Karen, I do prefer this to the abstract one. I think it shows that you enjoyed yourself with it. And what you do so very well is to capture sunlight and shade in a way that feels like being there for me as a viewer.

Comment by carole — April 14, 2007 @ 1:22 pm
  7. I said Wow! when this opened. Its so lush and vibrant!

Comment by Jana Bouc — April 14, 2007 @ 11:41 pm
  8. Love this Karen, and exactly for the “bit of everything” you have going here, a perfect demonstration that a marriage between different styles can be as beautiful!
    Also love the quote.
    Ronell

Comment by Ronell — April 15, 2007 @ 12:22 am
  9. Yes, yes — this is more YOU! :-) This is vibrant and loose, and yet accurate. I much prefer it to the abstract version!

Comment by Linda — April 15, 2007 @ 3:19 pm
  10. I like the quote AND the painting, a lot!

Comment by Kate (Cathy) Johnson — April 15, 2007 @ 5:37 pm
  11. What colours!

Comment by hfm — April 16, 2007 @ 2:28 am
  12. I really like your work in both watercolour and oils = there’s a lovely sense of place and a lovely free touch. I’ve now bookmarked your site to visit often :)
    Vivien

Comment by vivien — April 16, 2007 @ 5:56 am
  13. Really gorgeous Karen. Natural with a great bit of impressionism.

Comment by teric — April 16, 2007 @ 8:22 am
  14. Karen, this is beautiful. I love everything about it–the lifts, the shadows, the colors, the edges. WOW!! You are such a good example of an artist who improves by leaps and bounds b/c she is working every day and painting, painting, painting. Thank you for sharing your work and struggles and thoughts with us.

Comment by Linda T — April 18, 2007 @ 9:31 am
  15. You are producing some very, very fine work! They’re all stunning! I’m with you though – your abstraction is amazing, but I have to have some
    realism too. Just enough in this sketch – it is fantastic! You already have a style. I can recognize your work right away. That’s something we all
    strive for – our voice – you have yours, and it sings.

Comment by Deborah Lowe — April 18, 2007 @ 12:48 pm