December 2006
« Nov   Jan »
18192021222324

Power at Sunset – Daily Painting

December 13th, 2006

“Power at Sunset” – 8 x 10 inches – oil on canvasboard

Last weekend we drove out to Palmdale on business and I rode along because I couldn’t resist the skies full of incredible clouds. On the way home, after the sun had already set, I saw a glowing building and asked my husband to pull over so I could investigate. I gathered from all the high voltage signs that this was some sort of power distribution center, and of course I took a bunch of photos – the strong contrasts of colors inside the building and the dramatic sky were just too tempting. One of these days I’m probably going to get busted for suspicious behavior. But sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

1. This is a terrific painting! I love the strangeness of the scene, yet it is understandable, readable, too. More like this please!

Comment by n.b. — December 13, 2006 @ 12:24 pm
  2. I second that!

Comment by Jo Castillo (noblock99) — December 13, 2006 @ 12:40 pm
  3. Great!

Comment by hfm — December 13, 2006 @ 3:40 pm
  4. Yes, it is glowing which makes the picture interesting with the contrast of darkness. You are prolific and focussed. I am too obsessed with updates of Fiji coup news that I can’t get drawing done at all.
    W.

Comment by wendy — December 13, 2006 @ 4:20 pm
  5. It reminds me of some of Hopper’s works…lovely…

Comment by Kate (Cathy) Johnson — December 13, 2006 @ 7:47 pm
  6. Karen, thank you for your kind thoughts. Yes, it does impact upon family but we are in touch by email and phone every day.
    Wendy

Comment by wendy — December 14, 2006 @ 12:15 am
  7. This is one is one of my favourites. It really appeals to my derelict building/industrial building fetish. Great work.

Comment by Detlef — December 14, 2006 @ 1:01 am
  8. Thank you Detlef (and everyone) I like old buildings, too – and old mines, rusty things and so on. It’s the texture that appeals to me, I think. Even my husband said tonight that he was surprised when I jumped out of the car, captivated by the building. We drove by it again tonight, at about 7 pm and it wasn’t the same. It was the sky and the twilight light that gave it that special look.

Comment by Karen — December 14, 2006 @ 1:16 am
  9. Great job capturing the feeling of dusk. I love the lighting in the building and the look of almost desolation around it. Maybe you should carry some of your paintings with you to help bail you out if you get busted for suspicious behavior

Comment by Tami — December 14, 2006 @ 10:03 am
  10. Tami, good idea. Don’t laugh but I have thought about having my sketchbook at the ready (which is full of drawings of Ripley, plants, cats and other things) should I be suspect. I think I’ll just hold up my oil-paint smeared arms if accosted. An then there’s always the easel in the trunk …

Comment by Karen — December 14, 2006 @ 10:06 am
  11. Karen, I see it exactly as you described. The feel of the place is just terrific, this is a winning piece! It was very cool to run into you in the
    Nature Center yesterday and I am sure some golden Sycamores are in our futures.

Comment by Laura — December 14, 2006 @ 11:20 am
  12. Wonderful urban landscape. There’s something disquieting about this one that’s very effective.

Comment by Casey — December 14, 2006 @ 11:18 pm
  13. Thanks, Laura. Casey, yes, it is sort of eerie, isn’t it. And walking by it at night with everything sort of humming but no one there … shiver.

Comment by Karen — December 15, 2006 @ 1:10 am
  14. This looks like a Bruce Springsteen song — maybe i am thinking of Darkness On The Edge Of Town… but the atmosphere is extremely well rendered.

Comment by wagonized — December 15, 2006 @ 6:41 am