November 2006
« Oct   Dec »
20212223242526

Chicken – Daily Painting

November 21st, 2006

Study of a chicken … 5″ x 6″ – gouache on recycled paper

I thought the recycled paper worked well for this. In fact, the little bits of fiber in the paper reminded me of the sort of straw and dust found in barnyard environments and gave me a nice midtone to work against.

1. This is AWEsome!

Comment by r.e.wolf — November 21, 2006 @ 8:58 pm
  2. Looks very roosterly, Karen. I agree, the paper works smashingly well!

Comment by Tami — November 21, 2006 @ 9:21 pm
  3. Wonderful! I agree, the paper really enhances the image.

Comment by Felicity — November 22, 2006 @ 12:39 am
  4. Perfect poultry portrait! Great paper for it too. You seem to be able to move from one medium to another so gracefully!

Comment by Jana Bouc — November 22, 2006 @ 12:56 am
  5. Wow. So much personality, and the technique is perfect for the subject.

Comment by Casey — November 22, 2006 @ 3:55 am
  6. Wow! That’s GORGEOUS! I’m very impressed!

Comment by Renate — November 22, 2006 @ 4:37 am
  7. Karen this is charming. He has a cocky personality ;-) WHat are you using for your white? Gousche? Wiite colored pencil? I ask
    because I’m always looking or a good white somethig to use over water color ect.

Comment by lindsay — November 22, 2006 @ 6:30 am
  8. Sorry, I just saw you used gousche!!!Its early here! Where are my glasses?

Comment by lindsay — November 22, 2006 @ 6:31 am
  9. I agree with the choice of paper. Looks great!

Comment by Gladys — November 22, 2006 @ 10:00 am
  10. Wow — I really thought it was pastel pencil until I read otherwise! Great personality on this guy. (Maybe he’s just self-confident because it’s Thanksgiving week, and somebody else’s turn!)

Comment by Linda — November 22, 2006 @ 3:08 pm
  11. it is bwaaaaaakk.. just wonderful

Comment by Pamela — November 22, 2006 @ 6:26 pm
  12. This is sooooooooooooo good Karen – you make me want to break out my gouache paints!

Comment by Katherine — November 23, 2006 @ 4:23 am
  13. Looks great on that paper. Some birds scare me – maybe goes back being chased by a whole flock of geese or turkeys or something. One of my best paints was of two very colourful roosters – I sold it to friends and their house burnt down – with the roosters picture – in the Ash Wednesday burshfire at Lorne.
    It was based on a beautiful rooster we had when living in Fiji and one day someone killed him and cooked him. I refused to partake. He had been so beautiful.
    Wendy