October 2006
« Sep   Nov »
16171819202122

Daily Painting – Sycamore Sentinel

October 11th, 2006

7″ x 11″ Watercolor on 140# paper

SOLD

A sycamore at Eaton Canyon in the early fall, the San Gabriel mountains in the background. Do you see the white bird flying in the background over the mountain? It wasn’t intentional, just a little white space left by the twist of my brush as I was putting in the mountains. In fact, I didn’t see it until after I scanned it. Funny how these things are …

I’m not quite sure what’s happened in the last couple of days, or where this somewhat new direction is coming from, but for the moment I’m not going to question it, and just follow it and see what happens.

1. I love this, Karen. And i didn’t see the bird prior to reading the text — but wow, it’s there. I am amazed at how simply you can suggest a mountain like this in the background. Oh, and the texture of the tree trunks is beautiful. I think this is one of my favorites.

Comment by wagonized — October 12, 2006 @ 2:21 am
  2. Oh how I wish I could do this!! Love the way you get details in with a washy style, just amazing!

Comment by Brenda Yarborough — October 12, 2006 @ 7:21 am
  3. I lovel your stuff, Karen, but this is especially lovely– there is such a feeling of light and space in all your mountain views… and then, the dappled sunlight and glow on the sandbank. Hurray for the mysteries that create things like that bird! I once struggled to get a moon behind many bamboo, and lost… and lost, again… only to find a better one sneak in behind a later bamboo that I only discovered after I had finished.
    Annie

Comment by Ann Fortenberry — October 12, 2006 @ 7:58 am
  4. this is just beautiful, feels light and fresh…UI admire the way you can work in multiple mediums

Comment by rhonda hurwitz — October 12, 2006 @ 8:45 am
  5. This is very lush and beauitiful in its simplicity. Lots of “suggested” detail make this so much fun to look at.

Comment by Tim Schutz — October 12, 2006 @ 9:53 am
  6. Karen, can you fill me in on your e-bay store? I’ve never used E-bay for buying. Ideally I’d like to receive notice when something of your’s goes up for auction. I tried looking for info on e-bay stores but was time-limited and got confused about whether I can even be notified on new items. Thanks for any help you can provide. Alternatively, if you have a fan-club (and you should) consider setting up a distribution list and contacting us directly when new items get put on. Thanks, Michael.

Comment by Michael Emerald — October 12, 2006 @ 11:22 am
  7. Don’t you DARE do anything other than keep on this way! Another lovely in -the-new-style painting! This is what is called a breakthrough ;D.

Comment by Laura — October 12, 2006 @ 11:26 am
  8. karen just wanted to say i have been enjoying your daily paintings and hope you sell lots. I’m getting geared up to start selling also just not sure where.
    this painting is wonderful.

Comment by Toni — October 12, 2006 @ 3:40 pm
  9. Wow! That takes my breath away!

Comment by Renate — October 13, 2006 @ 12:31 am
  10. Oh, this is SOOOOOO scrumptious!! Wherever this is coming from, go with it, and share with us all the good that it brings! :)

Comment by Wendee — October 13, 2006 @ 9:41 am
  11. Beautiful – it could almost be Australia.

Comment by alison — October 13, 2006 @ 9:35 pm
  12. I love the trunk of that tree, beautiful texture. And the distant mountain is great too, very simple and still very real. Great.

Comment by Nina Johansson — October 15, 2006 @ 12:58 pm