September 2006
« Aug   Oct »
18192021222324

Mango and knife study

September 27th, 2006

A watercolor sketchbook study in preparation for an oil painting. This sketch is 10″ x 7.25″
I bought the mango last week, attracted by its shape and color, but it wasn’t quite ripe yet. As it aged, it changed in wonderful ways, developing new speckles and coloration.

My patient husband looks at it longingly.
Are we having margaritas yet?
Any day now, dear, any day now …

1. Chicago Cutlery? :) LOVE the coloration of the mango, especially the green-into-yellow end.

Comment by r.e.wolf — September 27, 2006 @ 12:31 pm
  2. it does look good enough to cut and eat!! Wonderful shape and colors.

Comment by TeriC — September 27, 2006 @ 1:11 pm
  3. It’s great. Luv the highlights of the knife.

Comment by Gladys — September 27, 2006 @ 1:16 pm
  4. Aaaw, my favourite fruit! You did extremely well on this one with all the speckles, and the colors are just right. Nice light in this painting too. Love it!

Comment by Nina Johansson — September 27, 2006 @ 2:19 pm
  5. Beautiful! I could pick it right from my screen.

Comment by Renate — September 27, 2006 @ 3:43 pm
  6. How could you paint a mango instead of just eating it? I’ts my favourite fruit of course. I don’t usually see speckles on Fiji mangos. Where do you get our mangos from? Do you grow where you live? They are in season in Fiji around December and you can buy about 5 for a dollar. Here in Oz they are about $4 each at times! That knife – looks like the one I put in my handbag one day!

Comment by wendy — September 27, 2006 @ 6:01 pm
  7. Karen- This is one of my favorites. I really like the way the splatters of watercolor reveal the mango’s ripeness.

Comment by Suzanne — September 27, 2006 @ 7:07 pm
  8. Ryan, yes, CC! I didn’t put the name on the handle but you guessed it!

Thanks everyone for commenting …

Wendy, I think our mangos come from Mexico or Central America. I wish we could get them for 20 cents each – I love them and they are great in margaritas!

Comment by Karen — September 27, 2006 @ 7:16 pm
  9. Never tried them in margaritas, but they are a fav of mine…this is so beautiful, Karen.

Comment by Rachel — September 27, 2006 @ 8:17 pm
  10. Wonderful – such lovely skin texture.

Comment by alison — September 27, 2006 @ 8:37 pm
  11. Oh, that’s lovely. I’m especially drawn to the spatter! Lovely, subtle colours. I eat mangoes almost every day during the season, which goes on for a couple of months. Never thought of putting them into a margarita! Something for next year.

Comment by Nancy — September 27, 2006 @ 9:37 pm
  12. Lovely and so fresh!

Comment by Jana Bouc — September 27, 2006 @ 11:38 pm
  13. This is great, Karen! I agree with everyone else, the splatters just perfect this! Now will ya go make margarita’s for poor husband!!!

Comment by Tami — September 27, 2006 @ 11:53 pm
  14. GORGEOUS!! I JUST LOVE THE WATERCOLOR TREAMENT AND COLORS!

Comment by lin — September 28, 2006 @ 5:05 am
  15. I had to comment on this one Karen, because of the amazing realism! The light, the wooden handle, and the blade are yes, so CC! The mango is awesome!
    What do you use for splattering? You achieved such a fine spay. (Toothbrush, held upright is my guess. Am I right?)

Comment by Nancy Coler — September 28, 2006 @ 7:38 am
  16. I need to show that to my friend Deb who loves to do fruit, veggies…etc.

She just did one of four peppers… and got a blue ribbon at the fair. Her ex-teacher ran into her and asked her about the shiny spots (highlights) and she admited to using white. Our teacher says NO WHITE

Comment by PAmela — September 28, 2006 @ 7:59 pm
  17. Very fresh organic watercolor Karen :)

Comment by ParisBreakfasts — September 28, 2006 @ 8:13 pm
  18. You really nailed this one. It is perfect!.

Comment by Terry Banderas — September 28, 2006 @ 8:30 pm