August 2006
« Jul   Sep »
14151617181920

Here’s your 15 minutes …

August 7th, 2006

Happy birthday yesterday. Were you still alive, you would have been 78. And you probably would have a blog and be demonstrating your latest works on YouTube. I’m sorry you didn’t live to see the internet; you would have loved it. No, you would have helped shape it, or at least shake it up a little.

Alas, when you spoke the line that would probably be your most memorable [ "In the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes"] you didn’t take population growth into consideration. The current fame index says we’ll only be famous for about 8 minutes. And although fame would be nice, I’ll gladly yield my time to anyone who comes up with a good, cheap, alternative energy source or a cure for stupidity.
Love him or hate him, he was a complex and fascinating guy – filmmaker, publisher, artist, actor and music producer, to name but a few of his identities. Find out more about Andy in his Wikipedia entry.”

And now, gentle reader, my question to you is … If you were to be famous for fifteen minutes (or only eight minutes) what would you like to be famous for?

1. Sounds bit ‘holier than …’ but I would like to be famous for making a difference in someone’s life. Not quite sure how though.

Love your portrait of Andy W.

Comment by Robyn — August 7, 2006 @ 4:01 am
  2. What you show in his face, I never expected to see, and this tells me that I have done the man an injustice not to find out more about him.
    I would be uncomfortable being “famous” for even five minutes, but I guess I’d like to be known as a friendly, caring person.
    Annie

Comment by Ann Fortenberry — August 7, 2006 @ 8:12 am
  3. WOW– great sketch – and such a ponderable question? Solving world peace? finding an alternative energy source? Solving world hunger, ending crime? Mercy, can’t even imagine….

Comment by Lin — August 7, 2006 @ 8:39 am
  4. His expression is fabulous! I would like to be remembered for my integrity.
    Helena

Comment by hfm — August 7, 2006 @ 10:45 am
  5. Great tribute, Karen and I think it is a wonderful watercolour portrait. What would I want to be remembered for? For not eating anything with big brown eyes before the rest of the world realised how unkind it is.

robyn

Comment by Robyn — August 7, 2006 @ 1:30 pm
  6. Nice memorial Karen! He was a really weird guy.

You didn’t tell us what YOU would like to be famous for.

Hmmm,

If I could be famous for 8 minutes, I’d like for it to be for beating up my ex-boyfriend on Jerry Springer for walking out with my best friend.

If I could be famous for 15 minutes, I’d like for it to be for … hmmm, 15 minutes is so long, you can do so much good in so much time. Thank God for the population explosion. It looks like Jerry Springer is the best I can do.

HeHe.

Comment by pink, etc. — August 7, 2006 @ 3:26 pm
  7. I would like to be famous for making the world laugh, not stand up comedian style but true heart felt, so glad you are there at that moment with that friend, type laughter. Now, having said all of that, this is a
    wonderful portrait! It is amazing what you can do throwing paint at canvas! Portraits, up close, in watercolor just fascinate me.
    The world is an interesting place with room for all even the odd bird.

Comment by Tami — August 7, 2006 @ 5:50 pm
  8. Oh, Karen, this is so, so fine! Wonderful colors, great composition, man, what a joy to see your watercolors, you have a gift, surely.

Comment by NelVanL — August 7, 2006 @ 10:11 pm
  9. I would like to be famous for being the surprise single heir to the Bill Gates estate.

Great watercolor Karen! You’re getting better, and better, and better…..

Comment by Don West — August 7, 2006 @ 10:27 pm
  10. I’m not sure I like the subject but I certainly love your portrait of him.
    As a teenager I used to dream of become famous like Muhammad Ali and then bring peace to the world. Today I don’t dream to be famous even by 8 minutes.

Comment by Roberto Bobrow — August 8, 2006 @ 4:50 pm
  11. I think all your reasons for fame are really good ones, people.
    Don, you’re too funny! I like that idea too. Ooooh, think of the art supplies …
    Roberto … I was never a big Andy fan, either. Too full of himself. But he sure does have an interesting face and style.

Comment by Karen — August 8, 2006 @ 9:13 pm
  12. Never was a big Warhol fan, but your portrait is fantastic. You made him better looking than I recalled him to be. I did like his Marilyn Monroe and the tomato soup cans the best.

As for a few minutes of fame? I honestly can’t think of anything at this point in time. There was a time when I wanted to be famous–as an actress or a motivational teacher, or a writer. Now I’m happy to be as anonymous as I can, if that makes any sense. A reporter at Channel 4 e-mailed me to see if I’d speak to Reggie the Alligator and I declined. I haven’t followed him since April–and I sure as hell don’t want to be on TV.

Comment by Fran aka Redondowriter — August 9, 2006 @ 12:28 am
  13. I’d like to be famous for being a good mother, though I don’t think good mother’s attract fame – because it isn’t good for their children. Don’s idea is hilarious.

Comment by Julie Oakley — August 11, 2006 @ 11:54 am
  14. Just beautiful!! Im sure he would have been right into today’s technology….

Fame? who needs it….just be who I am, happy and healthy and Im fine with that

Comment by Anastasia — August 11, 2006 @ 5:02 pm