August 2006
« Jul   Sep »
14151617181920

Watercolormelon

August 3rd, 2006

Well, this is a multipurpose painting.

First, it’s for Illustration Friday’s theme of “Clean” – I think I cleaned out that melon pretty well.
Secondly, it’s for Wet Canvas’s 4th “Art From Life” scavenger hunt. This item is “my breakfast.”
It’s a ‘draw a fruit’ for Everyday Matters, too. Mostly it was an excuse to have some watercolor fun.

For those regular readers, I used a very limited palette here – some chrome yellow and vermillion, yellow green and ultramarine blue.
Canson Montval watercolor sketchbook – 7 x 10 size.

1. I love this title. Nice job!! :-)

Comment by Willie — August 3, 2006 @ 12:56 pm
  2. Nice! And so handy that this is a multi-tasking painting:> I especially admire the work on the spoon. It picks up the reflections so well and looks very dimensional.

Comment by carla — August 3, 2006 @ 2:02 pm
  3. I think you cleaned it out pretty well too!
    a great painting – beautiful colours!

Comment by Anastasia — August 3, 2006 @ 3:14 pm
  4. That melon looks just delicious !!!! Nice job, but then I enjoy everything you submit…..always a delight to see your work. Very inspiring….motivating…..cheerful.

Comment by Paula — August 3, 2006 @ 3:18 pm
  5. So orange and so blue — these two colors together fascinate me. It’s gorgeous. I can almost taste the fruit. Your paintints are a delight.

Comment by wagonized — August 3, 2006 @ 4:07 pm
  6. Yum! My favorite way to eat a cantaloupe! This is wonderfully done! :-)

Comment by Linda — August 3, 2006 @ 7:04 pm
  7. YUMMY TO LOOK AT — YUMMY TO EAT!!! GREAT JOB!

Comment by lin — August 3, 2006 @ 7:12 pm
  8. Great, Karen these are two of my favorite colors together! Looks like you enjoyed the mellon, too!

Comment by Tami — August 3, 2006 @ 9:30 pm
  9. You killed a lotta birds with that one stone!! Super painting, the spoon looks clean too!

Comment by Felicity — August 4, 2006 @ 2:13 am
  10. Wow, Karen, wonderful work here. That spoon looks so real, and metal is one of the hardest things to do, reflective surfaces can be so tricky. You’ve nailed it here.

Comment by NelVanL — August 4, 2006 @ 5:30 am
  11. We just had a winter melon a few days ago. Nice job with the watercolour, as always, Karen.

Comment by Christine Lim Simpson — August 4, 2006 @ 6:53 am
  12. Love this melon sketch, Karen. Your watercolors are getting stronger by the minute!

Comment by Laura — August 4, 2006 @ 7:04 am
  13. Hi Karen,
    This is so eyecatching — an old-fashioned term that my dear father used to use. It is interesting for me in three ways: I’m learning about 3-D rendering. The concave (convex?) crater is so convincing.
    Second, your rendering of surface juicyness if fabulous. Finally, your breakdown of color in the narration is really helpful for me. I feel like your posts teach me how to SEE the same way my Saturday night wine tastings
    at the shop help me to TASTE.

Comment by Potato Print — August 5, 2006 @ 5:52 am