November 2009
« Oct   Dec »
16171819202122

• Karen: thank you so much, Jo!
  • Jo Castillo: Karen, I was searching Google images for wildflower paintings and saw this. I thought, “That is...
  • Jo Castillo: I always like your structure paintings. Haven’t commented in ages, but I check in often in to be...

Espresso Pot – Still Life Daily Painting – Karen Winters

November 23rd, 2009

Java Jolt
5 x 7 inches oil on canvas panel

There was a time when I could drink espresso any time, day or evening after dinner and fall asleep like a baby. Well, a sleepy baby, not a cranky crying baby. My espresso drinking days may be over unless I can find a decaf drip. I would imagine Starbucks has something of that sort, too. Christmas Blend ground for expresso sounds pretty darn good, in fact. With steamed skim milk and a dash of hazelnut flavored syrup. Yum.

Anyway, this is our old espresso pot which has seen better days, but has been well loved and used. It hung by the handle off of a pot rack and hit the floor once, but it kept working just fine although a bit misshapen. This little painting started out as a study to see how i could render the different facets of the aluminum vessel using an Anders Zorn palette of white, black, yellow ochre and cadmium red.

63T8V8BUXD4F

1. Really beautiful.

Comment by Rainbow — November 23, 2009 @ 1:58 am
  2. Lovely Karen – it has that wonderful burnished aluminium look to it and looks well loved and used. The reflections are so subtle but work so well

Comment by Alissa — November 23, 2009 @ 2:51 am
  3. This is wonderful!

Comment by shelly — November 23, 2009 @ 3:33 am
  4. This is wonderful. I really like the way you worked the limited palette.

Comment by lynn — November 23, 2009 @ 3:37 am
  5. Beautiful painting. You’ve given your old coffee pot a new life!

Comment by Martine — November 23, 2009 @ 4:36 am
  6. LOVE it!!! what a beautiful rendering of the surfaces.

Comment by Shirley — November 23, 2009 @ 5:05 am
  7. Hi Karen. This is a lovely soft painting of your old pot. It inspired me to post a photo on Facebook of my pot which I’ve never used. I took the pic for a lesson in a photography class (online class of course). Now if I could only learn to paint!

Comment by Timaree (freebird) — November 23, 2009 @ 7:16 am
  8. This is really outstanding, Karen! The yellow ochre and cadmium red accents are perfect!

Comment by Jan — November 23, 2009 @ 7:47 am
  9. I think this is wonderful – you have captured the pot beautifully.

Comment by Margaret — November 23, 2009 @ 8:14 am
  10. Good ole Pot Full of Memories. As Alissa and the rest have said, it has been handled and loved into a burnished patina.

I am fascinated by limited palettes and will now have to try this one.
    annie

Comment by annie — November 23, 2009 @ 8:46 am
  11. very beautifully painted Karen! love this palette : )

Comment by Judy — November 23, 2009 @ 8:53 am
  12. I can tell it is well loved :) Great picture Karen!

Comment by Rachel — November 23, 2009 @ 9:04 am
  13. Great job with the colors and light. I ordered a no fat, decaf, latte in Española, New Mexico, a few years ago and the clerk said, “Oh, you want an AWT.” “What?” I asked. Clerk, “A Waste of Time!” Sigh……

Comment by Jo Castillo — November 23, 2009 @ 9:26 am
  14. Karen, Your coffee pot is beautifully done. it is lovely to see the challenge done in oils.
    lots of love from susan in australia

Comment by Susan Hosken — November 23, 2009 @ 4:14 pm
  15. Outstanding! Success with the limited palette. Congrats.

Comment by Possum Patty — November 23, 2009 @ 7:01 pm
  16. Simply love the way you apply colors onto everything. You never fail to amaze your crowd Karen.

Comment by Alex Tan — November 23, 2009 @ 10:42 pm
  17. Fantastic, Perfect!! You do not paint many “items” but obviously you capture them with great beauty!

Comment by Sandy — November 24, 2009 @ 9:09 am
  18. This is absolutely stunning! I painted the same pot, and know about the challenges involved. It’s in my post at http://danscanvas.blogspot.com/2009/10/coffee-miami-style.html if you are interested. Watercolor, and a very different approach. In oil it is stunning!

Comment by Dan Kent — November 24, 2009 @ 8:28 pm
  19. This is quite simply, outstanding. Beautiful work.

Comment by Melissa S. — November 24, 2009 @ 9:46 pm
  20. This is a lovely study, I really admire the way you have captured the shine of the metal! I am thinking of painting my take on this EDM tomorrow if I get time, I’m a Yorkshire girl in England so it has to be a pot of tea!!

Comment by Lesley — November 25, 2009 @ 10:45 am
  21. Amazing how time changes us in small (and large) ways isn’t it??
    Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Comment by Marian Fortunati — November 25, 2009 @ 6:19 pm