July 2008
« Jun   Aug »
14151617181920

Sunset Magic – California Impressionist Painting by Karen Winters

July 17th, 2008

Sunset Magic
12 x 16 oil on canvas – California impressionist landscape

My latest larger sized landscape draws inspiration from the works of George Inness – a Hudson Valley painter who gradually evolved into an impressionistic style (even though he always rejected the term “impressionist” when it was applied to him.) I have been studying his work for the past few weeks, having seen some of his paintings at the Art Institute of Chicago, and then seeing Sun Shower, at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art. Inness had a unique way of combining realism and impressionism that I admire. And no doubt it was because of the era in which he worked – in the transitional period between the two movements.

Here’s how it looks a dark frame. I wouldn’t put a bright gold frame on a painting like this – the brightness would compete with the sunset.

1. Another one that takes my breath away. Wouldn’t I love to see your show!

Comment by MaryO — July 17, 2008 @ 1:32 pm
  2. Wow, Karen!! Your work just keeps getting better and better. This is stunning!!

Comment by Lindad T — July 17, 2008 @ 9:42 pm
  3. Thank you, Linda and Mary. Yes, I wish you could come see it Mary, I would love to show my work to my friends in person!

Comment by Karen — July 17, 2008 @ 10:21 pm
  4. Wonderful dramatic light – very nice piece. Just was reading about morning and evening light – how colors are perceived – will try to locate.

Comment by Carol Schweigert — July 17, 2008 @ 10:54 pm
  5. Very NICE…it really does seem to glow!!! great job!

Comment by Margaret Hunt — July 18, 2008 @ 4:54 am
  6. Karen, I don’t know that I’ve eVER been drawn in to a landscape with quite that strong a pull. The backlit bush on the left, the changing greens in the foreground as the light catches them around the big tree, of course your always-wonderful clouds … my eyes travelled front, back, up around. And enjoyed the journey mightily I must add. Thanks!

Comment by Susan — July 18, 2008 @ 6:34 am
  7. Simply gorgeous! The sky is awesome!
    One suggestion…..smaller frame…..the larger one seems to overwhelm your beautiful work ( imho ).

Comment by Deb — July 18, 2008 @ 6:41 am
  8. Love your trail of light through this. This style appeals to me, somewhere in between total realisim and complete impressionism, I’ll look for some of his work.

Comment by Tami — July 18, 2008 @ 6:56 am
  9. This is such a wonderful painting, Karen. It caught my eye right away.

Comment by Takeyce — July 18, 2008 @ 8:11 am
  10. Yep. You got the magic all right. Such rich and clean color. Like the way you have that sunlight radiating through and on the tree. Texture is tastefully done too, a challenge with such a variety of it.

Comment by Bill — July 18, 2008 @ 10:16 am
  11. Wow! This is breathtakingly beautiful, Karen.

Comment by Lynn — July 18, 2008 @ 10:18 am
  12. Karen, this is so lovely. We have been moving for the summer to NM and I have been out of touch. Your work just gets better and better. Wow.

Comment by Jo Castillo — July 18, 2008 @ 9:15 pm
  13. Everyone has already said it, but I wholeheartedly agree! Gorgeous.

Interesting comments from you and the other person about the frames. It would be interesting to see the same painting in several different frames so everyone could “judge”. Since they already love the painting, it would be only a matter of how it looks in the frame.
    Then again…. I wonder if you’d get any consensus…
    Stay well.

Comment by Marian Fortunati — July 20, 2008 @ 3:22 pm
  14. I love your work! It inspires me :-)

Comment by Mindy — July 20, 2008 @ 5:10 pm
  15. This is lovely. Great colors. You can pass it down this way!!!!!

Comment by Donn — July 20, 2008 @ 7:09 pm
  16. Wow, I was on Belinda Del Pesco’s site and caught your comment to her. Clicked on your name and found a wonderful visual feast! Beautiful work…I want to take a walk into your countrysides!

Comment by Robin M. Cohen — July 22, 2008 @ 7:09 pm
  17. It remains a pleasure to view your site and your art. This piece is very nice. Great use of light and darks and tremendous execution of sky, clouds and sun reflection. The lighter green of the grasses reflecting sunlight in lower left of painting is so good. I think this is one of your best.

Comment by Terry Banderas — July 23, 2008 @ 6:50 am
  18. A very buetiful painting

Comment by Amanda Camden — January 8, 2009 @ 6:41 am
  19. “Sunset Magic” drew me in right away as it just what I was looking for for an inspirational moment.

Comment by Rich Thatcher — June 15, 2009 @ 5:43 pm
  20. looks like you gave that painting a “glow-job”….

Comment by doulgas — October 21, 2011 @ 10:44 am