February 2008
18192021222324

Eaton Canyon Trail – Pasadena – Karen Winters Plein Air Daily Painting

February 15th, 2008

Eaton Canyon Trail
8 x 10 oil on canvasboard
A plein air adventure SOLD

Although I had a wonderful time enjoying the company of my art pal Wendee while painting out in nature, today, just about everything that could go wrong, did.

When we got to the location, I discovered that I had left my palette at home. I had brushes and paint but no palette. After rooting around in the trunk of the car I found an empty Fedex envelope that served the purpose.

When you absolutely, positively have to paint.

It was quite breezy out there. So breezy, in fact, that the panel kept flying off the easel and landing on the palette. Yuk. So I ended up holding the painting in one hand (like the palette I didn’t have) instead of on the easel. It worked out ok.

By the time I got this far, the light had changed too much to continue. So I took a picture and finished it at home, in studio. (As above.) Thus ends the tale of lemonade from lemons, and one woman’s determination to enjoy her paintout day, no matter what.

1. That painting is exquisite! I can’t believe how well it turned out when so much went wrong! – Barbara

Comment by Barbara — February 15, 2008 @ 10:56 pm
  2. The painting turned out wonderful. I want to get into plein air painting, but haven’t done so yet. It is so much easier in the studio! But, you did a great job even with the problems that came up.

Comment by sara — February 16, 2008 @ 6:58 am
  3. What a pill!
    The painting turned out very nice regardless :-)
    Kudos on the heroic improvisational efforts.

Comment by Don West — February 16, 2008 @ 12:54 pm
  4. Perserverance and determination, you’ve got both! Despite the trials you’ve painted a beautiful trail!

Comment by Nancy — February 16, 2008 @ 1:01 pm
  5. Karen,
    Pardon me for a little sympathetic humor at your story! Talk about the inventiveness of artists! I’m sure all or most of us have “been there, done that.”

First time out at the Quiller En Plein Air workshop last June, as it was called, the wind in Colorado was moderately strong. I had bought a neat little collapsible easel umbrella. I put it up, and it bent in half within a few minutes. I was able to bungee cord it to my easel, make-shift for the rest of the workshop! Had to squat a bit at times.
    Like the rich color on that trail in your painting. Nice feel to it and not to much that it strains credibility!

Comment by Bill — February 16, 2008 @ 1:03 pm
  6. Well, despite the obstacles you managed a beautiful painting! I really like the colors in this one, very soft and peaceful.

Comment by Ann — February 16, 2008 @ 3:10 pm
  7. You are a persistent painter – with a hey-ho the wind and the rain – an old song is in my heard.
    Yes, that circle shape is there in the photo. Nicely done.
    w.

Comment by wendy — February 16, 2008 @ 6:31 pm
  8. Brilliant! And small FedEx boxes make great wet painting carriers when stacked and duct taped together and carried flat. I really like the light and colors in this painting. It has a nice musical feel to it. Your blog overhaul is great…no more big gap before the comments start.

Comment by Jana Bouc — February 17, 2008 @ 11:42 pm
  9. I love this painting. I’m a photographer, but if I could paint this painting is what I’d like to create. I’ve been lurking at your blog for a couple of weeks being inspired.

Comment by DebMc — March 7, 2008 @ 5:11 pm
  10. Karen,

I live actually two miles from Eaton Canyon in Pasadena and have never seen this trail. Where is it actually located? Also, I have been trying for a while now to locate two trails diverging such like the one in the poem The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost. Do you know if there is such a place anywhere around Southern California or somewhere local because I have looked everywhere. Your art is very unique and elegant. Great job. Thanks for your attention.

Gregory Ekmekjian