September 2007
« Aug   Oct »
17181920212223

• annie: I so love those threes of yours, Karen. They just take my heart

Winging Home – Karen Winters Daily Painting

September 23rd, 2007

“Winging Home” 16 x 20 oil on canvas (Zuma Beach – Malibu)
SOLD

Today was a wonderful day in so many ways. The reception took place as planned and I had the opportunity to visit for awhile with friends old and new. My college roommate, Bobbi, came with her husband and mom and we have vowed to set aside some time to catch up on all our lives. Some of our clients came to join in the fun as did new friends like Holly the creekhiker who I’ve been enjoying through her blog. Our son Michael came up to spend the day with us and that was great, too. Labelle Kel is in Chicago at Northwestern, but she was with us in spirit. We had a very good turnout and I think that everyone had a good time, too. I know I sure did.

I didn’t paint today since we were busy meeting and greeting everyone, so tonight I pulled out a reference photo of Zuma Beach generously offered by my good friend Wendee who is designer and teacher at Art Center. I am indeed blessed to have so many talented and creative friends. My roommate Bobbi, mentioned above, is an outstanding writer and PR consultant; Holly is a marvelously talented glassworker and TV producer, and our friend Jeannie Poole, who also visited today, is a wonderful musician who has composed and conducted symphonies.

And I am eagerly looking forward to Wednesday when a group of my paint out friends will be having their weekly paint out at Descanso and making the trek up the hill to visit our little gallery.

Now, about this painting.

I confess that the last time I painted a seascape in oil I was about 14-15 years old and in high school. I took oil painting lessons for a few summers and occasionally painted on Saturdays until the academic schedule got too tough, and then I gave it up. I have often wondered what would have happened if I had rigorous training back then, rather than casual hobby type lessons. The road not taken, sigh. College came, and marriage and work and a family and so many good things. And there have been many summers between then and now. But I have rediscovered my bliss and intend to follow it all the rest of my days. Who is “winging home?” I am. Back to what did and always will bring me joy – painting.

Are you following your bliss? (as Joseph Campbell would have said.) If not, what are you waiting for?

1. “Following your bliss” – what a wonderful expression. And indeed, what AM I waiting for? I really feel I just haven’t a free second to even think about painting/sketching these days, but perhaps I am making excuses after all.

This is a beautiful painting, Karen, and really conveys a sense of warmth and nostalgia. Looks like you used a limited palette – may I ask what it was?

Comment by E-J — September 24, 2007 @ 3:44 am
  2. Absolutely beautiful. You must be very happy with this one.

Comment by Jenny — September 24, 2007 @ 6:50 am
  3. Thank you EJ and Jenny
    EJ I used burnt umber, ultramarine blue, titanium white and buff titanium. There are a few touches of violet and yellow ochre here and there also. I did try to keep the colors in a narrow range

Comment by Karen — September 24, 2007 @ 9:25 am
  4. It could be near Ericeira and it’s so gorgeous!

Comment by hfm — September 24, 2007 @ 11:26 am
  5. Beautiful painting Karen…wonderful atmosphere!
    Ronell

Comment by Ronell — September 24, 2007 @ 11:52 am
  6. I remember drawing since I was a kid and especially sketching during the summers at my parents hometown in southwest Spain when I was a teenager. I have this memory of sitting in the middle of the street with my sketchpad on this tiny rural village when it was 4 in the afternoon, more than 90 degrees outside, and everybody was taking a “siesta”. I’d draw the houses, the ruins of a castle that’s been there for centuries. I was the happiest kid. But then someone hits the accelerator and life starts happening fast… college, family… I never went to art school and wonder where that path would have taken me. But for now, I have sure decided to follow my bliss and draw everyday. Thanks for your post Karen, very inspiring!

Comment by gabi campanario — September 24, 2007 @ 2:37 pm
  7. It’s hauntingly beautiful!

Comment by Serena — September 24, 2007 @ 3:00 pm
  8. Gorgeous! This is really great — the light on the waves is just perfect!

Comment by Linda — September 24, 2007 @ 5:36 pm
  9. Hi karen,
    Thank you for sharing this painting. I could not help but tell you how this painting evoked feelings that i had last April 11,2007 to be exact.
    My family was on a trip to Bacolod City from Iloilo. We were so preoccupied with the trip that i totally forgot it was my birthday. With my husband,our two
    boys and two girls, we boarded the ship at 4 am. I didn’t realize we had the singular opportunity to watch the sun rise….in its most spectacular display…
    from the soft glow of its first rays as it emerged from behind the receeding hills to a lively show of gold as it danced among the waves! As I watched this,
    my husband and children hugged me and said… “Happy birthday,Mama!” It was my best day, not only because of all the love that surrounded me but also
    because God greeted my with a show of his eternal artwork!

Comment by minda cabrera — September 24, 2007 @ 5:38 pm
  10. Wow! The reference photo is one that I really enjoy, as well, and would like to paint. There’s a nice spiritual sense about it that is very compelling, that you’ve captured so beautifully here, too. Thanks for sharing this with us all.
    And all those photos that we take that we think would make great paintings or bits of paintings? Yes, we should go to our studios and just make them happen.
    Hugs, -w

Comment by Wendee — September 24, 2007 @ 7:33 pm
  11. Karen a wonderful post. Very inspiring and uplifting along with a beautiful image.
    Congratulations on all your success. I am so glad we met earlier this year.

Comment by toni — September 25, 2007 @ 5:19 am
  12. I to have started to follow my dream. I have always loved drawing and sketching, but never had the oportunity to actually get into painting. Then about 3 years ago, my husband fitted me out with a whole set of oils/canvas/easel the works for Christmas! I was scared and excited all at once. Now that the children are grown and gone, I finally have time for a hobby. Now I am painting mostly in acrylics, as the oil fumes were overbearing in my small craft room here at home. I haven’t had formal training, but I am constantly learning and enjoying every minute. I saw your painting on flickr and followed your link here. You do beautiful work. Bravo for following your dream!

Comment by Sandy — September 25, 2007 @ 5:19 pm
  13. Your painting is outstanding! You are so incredibly talented.
    I admire all your paintings but this one is really striking, it’s dark but serene all at the same time.

Comment by Mikki — September 26, 2007 @ 6:00 pm
  14. What a beautiful rendering of water! And I have to confess that I feel just the same. Follow your bliss, indeed!

Comment by Anna — September 27, 2007 @ 6:18 am
  15. Oh, WOW! This is a beautiful painting. You really are good at painting light. I like today’s azaleas painting too. Your paintings show that you are following your bliss, I think. And yes, I’m finally following mine too!

Comment by carole — September 27, 2007 @ 9:08 am