June 2007
« May   Jul »
18192021222324

• annie: I so love those threes of yours, Karen. They just take my heart

Let’s Play – Daily Painting

June 29th, 2007

“Let’s Play” – 8 x 10 acrylic on canvasboard

A few days ago, at an art gathering, one of the people mentioned that a local art club was having a show on the theme “Americana” and invited me to submit something. I realized that it was too late to paint something in oils, due to the drying time, and I wanted more of an oil look instead of watercolor. So I decided to paint this in acrylic instead. I don’t often paint in acrylic but I have to say that the convenience of having something done and ready to show quickly is really appealing.

I’ll also consider this something for the Everyday Matters “Draw some sporting goods” challenge.

The more different media I explore, the more I come to realize that painting is just painting. Although there are specifics that are pertinent to the particular medium (painting from light to dark in watercolor, vs. dark to light in oil … having to ‘save whites’ in watercolor vs. the freedom of painting white over other layers in oils) … a great deal of painting is much the same. Brush handling, painting values and shapes, composition, modeling forms – these things are very much the same no matter the medium. The other day I picked up one of Charles Reid’s books on flower painting and I was amazed at the consistency between his watercolor and oil painting. They both portray Reid’s characteristic style and flair, even though rendered in completely different media.

So if you’ve been avoiding experimenting in a different medium, give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised that it’s not as difficult a stretch as you might think.

1. Who’da thunk it? That’s a GORGEOUS ball glove… *GG* As I often tell my students pretty much what you’ve said, painting is just painting. Shapes are shapes. Anything can be beautiful…and this is.

Comment by Kate (Cathy) Johnson — June 29, 2007 @ 5:55 pm
  2. Wow, such texture on that glove! This is terrific.

Comment by Linda T — June 29, 2007 @ 7:05 pm
  3. What a gorgeous painting Karen! It’s just so gorgeous! That glove and ball are perfect.

Comment by teric — June 29, 2007 @ 7:41 pm
  4. Dang! Karen this is EXCELLENT! I can almost smeel the sweat on the leather…Beautiful!

Comment by Tami — June 29, 2007 @ 8:29 pm
  5. I should try acrylics. that is wonderful painting.

Comment by Pamela — June 29, 2007 @ 9:47 pm
  6. Wow Karen. Brilliant.

Comment by andrea — June 29, 2007 @ 11:55 pm
  7. wow. looks almost like a photograph

Comment by ksklein — June 30, 2007 @ 3:35 pm
  8. The glove has the feel of real leather, and the whole painting is so familiar. I suppose the glove with ball is part of everyone’s life through family or friends. Beautifully done subject!

Comment by Jenny — June 30, 2007 @ 9:53 pm
  9. Oh my gosh! This is absolutely stunning! You’ve become a master of all media! It really looks like oils to me.

I also agree with what you said about painting is painting. It’s kind of like speaking several languages. Even though speech is composed of words, letters, sentences, the important thing is the meaning of what is being said (in talking or painting), rather than how the words are spelled or the grammar, though without those it doesn’t make sense (like this last sentence probably didn’t make sense either). I guess I’m saying the medium ISN’T the message, it’s just the vehicle for the expression and one language/medium isn’t any better than another. (Although I suppose like Italian might be better for romantic speech, watercolor is better for certain messages.) OK, enough rambling. Anyway, thanks for the great post!

Comment by Jana Bouc — June 30, 2007 @ 10:57 pm
  10. Beautiful – and very American in the eyes of a Swede… I love how you managed to capture the texture of the leather and of the ball, different from each other. You are one skilled lady!

Comment by nina johansson — July 1, 2007 @ 11:59 am
  11. Where’s the bat? Let’s play ball!! This is superb Karen and so very Americana in flavor. I’ve been surprised as well to see
    artists who paint in oil, paint in watercolor too – the mediums couldn’t be more opposite but you’re right, it’s not the medium
    it’s our techniques and how we apply them. Now I just have to get my techniques down – practice practice rinse repeat :)

Comment by laura tm — July 1, 2007 @ 2:07 pm
  12. WOW – this glove and ball sing with life!!

Comment by sandy — July 2, 2007 @ 6:46 am
  13. What a beautiful job you did on this and with such a tight deadline. Kudos! I’m sure people will be bowled over by your talent. I know I am.

Comment by Sherie — July 15, 2007 @ 1:55 pm