February 2007
« Jan   Mar »
19202122232425

The Stories They’d Tell – Daily Painting

February 13th, 2007

“The Stories They’d Tell” – 5 1/8″ x 7″ – oil on canvas mounted on masonite.

Among the homeliest objects in our home are this old pair of scissors and a wooden “Clarks” spool. Both are probably from the 40s or 50s, judging from the look of them. Occasionally we’ll go to estate sales in our area, and inevitably there is a sewing basket with old scissors, spools and papers of pins. I like to think about their years of service and all the jobs they’ve done – a hem raised or lowered to suit the fashion of the time … a collar taken off and reversed to save buying a new shirt during the Great Depression … a Halloween costume made. Perhaps this thread and scissors patched up a hole in Santa’s jacket before it was packed away for another year.

What stories would your scissors tell, years from now?

1. wow. so far this is the best scissor i´ve seen. wow. the painting is really beautiful! i still haven´t started with this. don´t have any idea.

Comment by ksklein — February 14, 2007 @ 12:58 am
  2. What an amazing painting. I love the colors you used. Really, really nice. :)

Comment by laserone — February 14, 2007 @ 1:40 am
  3. You’ve packed a lot of emotion and feeling into some simple objects.

Comment by Casey — February 14, 2007 @ 1:49 am
  4. Karen, this is wonderful. The choice of colors gives a realy warm atmosphere…and brings up lots of memories. Great work.

Comment by Kunya — February 14, 2007 @ 2:14 am
  5. hi Karen- this one just blew me away- what an exquisite painting! Without having too much detail to it, it ‘feels’ old. Nice color choices, and composition. This is the most unique take I’ve seen yet on the scissors topic. :)

Comment by Christeen — February 14, 2007 @ 6:57 am
  6. This is such a gorgeous yet simple painting! Yes, what story would our scissors tell!

Comment by TeriC — February 14, 2007 @ 7:53 am
  7. Oh Karen, I saw this one and IMMEDIATELY thought about my Grandmere, who was the most talented seamstress I ever met. The painting even evoked a momentary whiff of her attic sewing room — isn’t that strange? It is just fabulous!

Comment by Linda — February 14, 2007 @ 3:03 pm
  8. ;)

Comment by hfm — February 15, 2007 @ 5:42 am
  9. I love this painting! I can just sense the stories behind the old scissors and thread. Very nice.

Comment by Kathleen Rietz — January 11, 2008 @ 11:25 am
  10. Great illo and post! I love your idea of what one’s scissors could tell. I’ve always love to make things with paper, to imagine all the lovely things my scissors have contributed to….

Comment by Get Zapped — January 11, 2008 @ 12:59 pm
  11. Simply wonderful :o )

Comment by Faruffa — January 11, 2008 @ 2:54 pm
  12. The scissors are trying to talk right now! ;-)

Comment by Willie — January 11, 2008 @ 4:22 pm
  13. Really wonderful work!

Comment by Digital Scott — January 11, 2008 @ 6:07 pm
  14. Scissors are hard…you did a great job Karen!

Comment by n.b. — January 12, 2008 @ 1:56 pm
  15. I have the same thoughts when I look at simple objects that have had a long life… they were part of other lives in their own small way. This is a very nicely composed painting… I really admire the work on the scissors. Good one!

Comment by carla — January 14, 2008 @ 4:34 am