May 2006
« Apr   Jun »
15161718192021

My window view – a not so faraway place

May 8th, 2006

This is my return to the “Draw the view from your window” challenge. My intention is to do it for every season and to notice the differences in foliage and flowers. The tree is a Chinese elm, a hardy and vigorous grower that puts up suckers all over the yard, and promiscuously drops seeds with wild abandon. This elm, in fact, is a child of the four large elms that line the front of our property. Unlike American elms they are not vulnerable to Dutch elm disease. Come to think of it, they’re not vulnerable to anything – even severe trimming and drought. You couldn’t kill them if you tried, which makes them a good plant for drought prone areas like ours.

I painted this in my sketchbook this afternoon, looking out my window onto the end of a sunny day – a welcome change from all the rain and cloudy weather. The colors snapped, the light was good and I just had to stop what I was doing. But here’s my question: If you paint a nature scene from life but you’re not outside, can you call it plein-air? Should I call it faux-air? Or office-air? I am so confused; I will have to ruminate on this for awhile.

Edited to add:

Here’s a fall window view …of the oak just to the left of the Chinese elm (elm not seen here.)

myfalloak

1. Whatever the air, it’s a lovely painting!

Comment by Hashi — May 8, 2006 @ 9:43 pm
  2. Hi Karen;

This tree is beautiful – no wait, I mean the whole painting is beautiful! You make it look so easy… the whole composition is airy and vibrant all at once. I love this piece!

Bonny

Comment by Bonny in BC — May 9, 2006 @ 12:13 am
  3. Lovely loose painting. I love it.
    MD

Comment by Marie-Dom — May 9, 2006 @ 12:49 am
  4. hey karen… thanks for dropping by my site… love the chinese elm painting! lovely piece… :)

Comment by Crystal — May 9, 2006 @ 3:02 am
  5. Canned air?

Whichever, it’s still excellent! :)

Comment by r.e.wolf — May 9, 2006 @ 3:54 am
  6. Refreshing! love these greens and the view from your office…
    Considering what is in the air outside – perhaps it is the air in the office that should be called plein-air? :=)

Comment by endment — May 9, 2006 @ 4:04 am
  7. oH KAREN!! Another gorgeous painting!! I love the colors in this — the looseness of it all …so evocative!

Comment by Lin — May 9, 2006 @ 4:33 am
  8. Karen – lovely painting – and were you sending out thoughtwaves yesterday by any chance? I had exactly the same inclination yesterday – to draw the trees from the windows I look out of regularly. The one just to left of this computer has just gone from bare branches to total green in a matter of days! Not that I’ve done anything about the idea and inclination yet – unlike yourself. I think it’s a great idea – may I join you?

Comment by Katherine — May 9, 2006 @ 5:32 am
  9. What a great idea to capture each season! Love this painting-so loose and simple but conveying so much.

Comment by TeriC — May 9, 2006 @ 5:54 am
  10. “Interi-aire”…

And it’s WONDERFUL, I don’t care what you call it!

Comment by Kate (Cathy) Johnson — May 9, 2006 @ 6:55 am
  11. Thank you everyone!

Katherine – yes, I was sending out thoughtwaves, but I didn’t realize they could reach as far as the UK. My wave generator is a vintage model and usually puts out low wattage. Yes, do join me in this! I have done two versions of my upstairs window – one in winter an one in spring. This is the second view of my office window – the first was fall, now spring.

Kate, I think you’ve coined the phrase! Thanks.

Comment by Karen — May 9, 2006 @ 7:30 am
  12. Beautiful!

Comment by Sioux — May 9, 2006 @ 1:20 pm
  13. Great piece — wonderful color — and I’m laughing my butt off over interi-aire … :-D

Comment by Linda — May 9, 2006 @ 2:30 pm
  14. These are really nice, Karen. I enjoy your work.

Comment by Linda T — May 9, 2006 @ 3:17 pm
  15. Beautiful. Very spring-y. Love the colors and the light. We have what we call Siberian Elms here. They would take over the universe if
    they could. Right now they are dropping hundreds of seeds all over my garden where they are not invited!

Comment by Jennafer — May 10, 2006 @ 7:47 am
  16. I love your painting and the idea of seasonal views from a window. I am also laughing at Kate’s interi-aire. T o be in compliance,, Karen, just stick your head out the window, a few times during painting, and that should make it bona fide and should take care of the com-plein-aires– Uh oh, I better get out of here before somebody throws something!
    Annie

Comment by Ann Fortenberry — May 11, 2006 @ 11:20 am
  17. The Chinese Elm is so lovely with the dabs of blue violet and yellow, SO Spring!

Comment by Maggie — May 13, 2006 @ 4:27 pm