October 2005
« Sep   Nov »
17181920212223

Illo Friday – Float

October 5th, 2005

Sometimes life takes mysterious twists and turns and it’s a challenge just to stay afloat.
But what a ride.

1. I love the background effect. It sets off the boat perfectly and gives it a lovely dream-like quality.

Comment by Aravis — October 5, 2005 @ 10:11 pm
  2. there are times when i wish seas were calm and blue. i could do with less excitement these days.

but i do like your illio. i did something quite similar with the float idea.

Comment by kisane — October 5, 2005 @ 11:29 pm
  3. This is a great idea, and superb execution.

Comment by Urban Convert — October 6, 2005 @ 12:03 am
  4. what you have said touched me …..more than the beautiful illustration you have made.

Comment by isay — October 6, 2005 @ 12:32 am
  5. Wow! How’d you do this? Is it a real painting on canvas, because it’d be sensational on a wall somewhere!

This picture brings to mind Edgar Allen Poe’s Descent into the Maelstrom and it’d make a great book jacket.

Comment by Ian C. Thomas — October 6, 2005 @ 1:04 am
  6. this one reminds me very much of a recurring(?) dream i used to have, i’m glad i’m not in it now..
    beautiful colors and well executed idea!

Comment by victorie — October 6, 2005 @ 3:13 am
  7. Wow! Great execution!

Comment by Tony — October 6, 2005 @ 5:41 am
  8. I like your take on float. Sometimes i like where my twists and turns take me and sometimes not. But then where would the excitment come from.
    Great illustration Karen.

Comment by Toni — October 6, 2005 @ 8:07 am
  9. Ian, it’s completely digital, done in Photoshop but I like your idea of painting it on canvas, maybe I’ll do that.

You mentioned book cover … in fact, I am using this as a portfolio piece for a movie poster. I think it could work as a “teaser” campaign …

Karen

Comment by Karen — October 6, 2005 @ 8:50 am
  10. There’s such a feeling of mystery to this…like a ghost ship appearing in a storm, or being sucked into a whirlpool. I love the colors, the movement, and the texture you’ve created here.

Comment by carla — October 6, 2005 @ 9:57 am
  11. Spooky… and definitely a diferent angle on the subject.

Comment by Sultry Painter Woman — October 6, 2005 @ 3:08 pm
  12. This IS really mysterious…but I love it! Great colors!

Comment by Julie Durocher — October 6, 2005 @ 8:26 pm
  13. Oh and Karen, nice new fall banner across the top of your page…that is new right? Or has it just been too long since I have visited here?
    Julie

Comment by Julie Durocher — October 6, 2005 @ 8:30 pm
  14. This is just beautiful Karen.

Comment by Teri — October 7, 2005 @ 4:46 pm
  15. I feel like I am repeating everyone else who has commented. This is a wonderful piece. I like both the background and the old ship. I think the ship is really great and really detailed (from this view). The circular pattern/motion in the background adds a mysterious touch to the drawing. It actually gave reminded me of ‘twilight zone’ (or black hole in space) kind of mysterie.

Comment by Evy — October 9, 2005 @ 5:49 am
  16. Ditto to all the previous comments–this is hypnotic. It’s the lead for an adventure story.

Comment by Nita — October 9, 2005 @ 8:04 am
  17. Wow, this would make a great Soul Collage card. I love this piece, Karen.

Comment by Redondowriter — October 9, 2005 @ 10:51 pm